The Association of Latvian Academic Libraries (LATABA) was founded on 11 October 1994 with the participation of 10 libraries. In 20 years it has established itself as a powerful organisation and encompasses all the largest academic and specialist libraries of Latvia – a total of 24 libraries.
LATABA goals include:
- to promote the development and cooperation of university and specialist libraries of Latvia;
- to promote the optimal provision of information for science, higher education and economy of Latvia;
- to unite the libraries of institutions of higher education and specialist libraries within the association that have similar informative and scientific goals and objectives.
LATABA provides the representation of its members’ interests in the working groups of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Latvia and in the process of strategic decision-making; organises mutual exchange of experience, in-house training and informative events.
Currently, the LATABA consists of 24 libraries:
- Library of the Baltic International Academy
- Library of the BA School of Business and Finance
- Library of the Turiba University
- Library of the Daugavpils University
- Library of the EKA University of Applied Sciences
- Library of the Jāzeps Vītols Latvian Academy of Music
- Library of the Latvian Academy of Culture
- Fundamental Library of the Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies
- National Library of Latvia
- Library of the National Defence Academy of Latvia
- Library of the Latvian Academy of Sport Education
- Academic Library of the University of Latvia
- Library of the University of Latvia
- Library of Liepaja University
- Library of Rēzekne Academy of Technologies
- Library of the Stockholm School of Economics in Riga
- Library of the Riga Graduate School of Law
- Library of the Riga International School of Economics and Business and Business administration (RISEBA)
- Library of the Rīga Stradiņš University
- Library of the Riga Technical University Riga Business School
- The Scientific Library of Riga Technical University
- Library of the Transport and Telecommunication Institute
- Library of the Vidzeme University of Applied Sciences
- Library of the Ventspils University
The Board of LATABA is an executive body consisting of the Chairperson of the Board, Deputy Chairperson and five Board members, who hold this position in accordance with the rotation procedure established by the Articles of the Association for two years. The Board acts on the basis of the Articles of the Association. The Chairperson of the Association coordinates and manages the work of the Association. The Board of the Association is entitled to decide all issues that are not within the exclusive competence of the General Meeting of the Association.
The date of foundation of the Association of Latvian Academic Libraries was 1994. This is what Aija Janbicka-Vība, the Director of the Scientific Library of Riga Technical University, remembers about the events of that time:
„The early origin of the Association of Latvian Academic Libraries was closely linked to the rectors of the two largest universities of Latvia: Juris Zaķis, the Rector of the University of Latvia (LU) and Egons Lavendelis, the Rector of Riga Technical University (RTU), and their university libraries.
The main goal of establishing the Association was to enhance and advance the work of academic, scientific and specialist libraries in order to promote the optimal provision of both traditional printed information and electronic information for higher education, science and economy of Latvia.
The foundation meeting of the Association was held in the Scientific Library of RTU in September 1994, which first adopted and approved the Articles of the Association. At least 10 libraries were required to establish and association and register it as a public organisation. The following Libraries participated in the foundation of the Association:
- Library of Daugavpils Pedagogical University, Director of that time SOLOMEJA KUNDZIŅA.
- Academic Library of Latvia, Director of that time EDVĪNS KARNĪTIS.
- Library of the Latvian Institute of International Affairs, Head of that time MĀRĪTE SAVIČA.
- Fundamental Library of the Latvian University of Agriculture, Director ILONA DOBELNIECE.
- Library of the Medical Academy of Latvia, Director INĀRA LEJNIECE (now Aploka).
- Library of the National Defence Academy of Latvia, Head LAILA TĪĢERE.
- Patent and Technology Library of Latvia, Director AGNESE BUHOLTE.
- Medical Research Library of Latvia, (at present National Agency “Latvian Medical Library) Director of that time RAISA KAZANKINA.
- Library of Liepaja Pedagogical Institution of Higher Education, Director of that time DINA MĒTELE.
- The Scientific Library of Riga Technical University, Director AIJA JANBICKA.
On 11 October of the same year the Articles of the Association were registered in the Register of Enterprises of the Republic of Latvia and hence the Association as an official public organisation. The emblem logo of the Association was designed by a young graphic artist Kaspars Lācis who had just graduated from the Art Academy of Latvia. He came up with an idea of the library as the Castle of Light through its relation to books and knowledge.”
Paula Valdena street 5